Search Past Posts

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy Anniversary and New Year to Us!

We headed home from Baytown on Saturday morning, stopping by our friends Adam and Melissa's house on the way out. It FINALLY worked out for us to see them during one of our trips, and it's looking promising that they'll be up our way this spring, so yay!


Avery was obsessed with Edie's "casp" and talked about it the whole way home. She thought it was pretty cool. I hope she doesn't get any ideas!

We got home in time to unload our bags, grab a few party essentials at the grocery store (since we hadn't been in two weeks!), and eat dinner at Chipotle (hey, our pantry was bare and the food in the fridge was beyond questionable).

We celebrated our anniversary on Sunday by leading worship at church, hosting a meeting for an (awesome) upcoming event, and sending the kids to my parents' so we could hit the town! I use that phrase loosely, but we had a really good time.

Matt talked me into booking a hotel for the evening, and I'm so glad we did. It meant I didn't have the option to do laundry or dishes or pay bills or anything. We got to spend actual quality time together. My multitasking often gets in the way of that.

We stayed at the NYLO South Side, which is totally cool and contemporary and not at all us, but we loved it. Also, the perk to having a December 30 anniversary is that hotels are seriously cheap the day before NYE! Something to consider if you're planning a wedding, haha!


After we checked in, we headed to Studio Movie Grill to finally see Les Miserables! It completely met up to all the hype. I've seen the show on stage four times (it was the first Broadway tour I ever saw!), but there were so many parts to the story that made more sense on the big screen. I loved it. Although I could've done without hearing Russell Crowe sing. I mean really, they couldn't have found a better Javert? I don't believe it.


We were gonna go visit some friends whose baby is in the hospital after the movie, but visiting hours were over already, boo. So we drove all over town and finally found a Starbucks that was still open. The barista turned out to be a girl I worked with at Old Navy in 2001. We couldn't figure out why the other looked so familiar and finally put the pieces together. I can't believe 2001 was twelve years ago. I'm officially old, but that's beside the point.

So Monday morning we grabbed Chick-fil-a for breakfast (raise your hand if you're surprised!!) and braved the gloomy day to go to the new Perot Museum of Nature and Science. Matt's brother and sister-in-law bought us a family membership for Christmas, so we were really excited to check it out! I was glad we reserved tickets in advance because the museum was sold out for the entire day. We ended up only staying for about an hour and a half because it was SO crowded, but it was really cool and we'll definitely be back! The kids will freak out over the children's museum area, so we might actually take them this week while Matt's still on vacation.


Our annual roomie's New Year's Eve plans got cancelled because Ricky was sick (and Tiff and Ross couldn't come up anyway this year), so we were completely bummed.  But we stayed home, had a picnic dinner in the living room, put the kids to bed around 9:00, drank hot chocolate, ate jalapeno popper dip, hung out with my brother (who was working and stopped by) and parents (who were lured by the promise of hot chocolate), fell asleep watching Footloose, and woke up at midnight to the sound of a war zone in our neighborhood because people thought it would be super fun to explode a zillion fireworks within city limits. I told you I'm officially old. And a party pooper.







Then today we celebrated Christmas with my dad's side of the family at my aunt's lake house in Azle. It was super low key and fun. Minus the fact that most of the cousins bailed. At least the cool ones were there. :)

Both kids fell asleep on the car ride home, Matt went riding with my brother tonight, and I thought I was going to go on a Netflix binge with sole control of the remote, but I blogged instead. And now I'm so tired I'll probably go to bed. Lame.

And where are the undecorating fairies when you need them? My Christmas stuff is still up and doesn't go away when I say "poof." I'm gonna keep working on that.

Also, I feel like I should only cook vegetables for the next month to make up for the horrendous eating habits we've picked up these past two weeks. Yikes!

Tomorrow I must hit the sewing machine again and catch up on new orders. Yay for orders, but that means my vacation is officially over.

Happy 2013! No official resolutions for this girl!

No comments: