Search Past Posts

Monday, March 19, 2012

Spring Break!

As much as I complain about Matt's job in February when he works every weekend, my tune changes completely during Spring Break. And summers. And Thanksgiving. And Christmas. Okay, so we've got it pretty good when it comes to his vacation time.

We had SO much fun last week, but holy blog break! I hate waiting so long between posts because it's hard to just start, but here's my catch up post. And really, it's kind of mundane, so don't feel obligated to finish just because you started reading. You won't hurt my feelings. Promise.

We started our week off with a trip to Baytown for the weekend to visit Matt's family. We got in LATE on Friday night, and both kids (who had been sleeping in the car) caught a second wind when we arrived, making it an even later night trying to get them to bed. Fun times.

So on Saturday we went to the Houston Rodeo with Matt's parents, his sister, Carrie, her fiance and his 3 year old daughter, Ava. I had never been before and it was fun! The girls had a blast riding rides, looking at animals, and playing together. Landon was content to watch everything since there was SO much to see. I think he was on sensory overload!








One of the cool things they had for kids was a little farm simulation where they could walk through each station, harvesting produce, "milking" cows, and collecting eggs. Then they got to "sell" their goods and collect money to spend on a snack. The girls loved it!





We caught the end of the Chris Young concert, where we discovered that Landon loves country music. At least he was dressed the part!



And then we went back through the carnival before calling it a day. Thanks for taking us, Terry and Arlene! We had a blast!

Landon did finally crash in the Moby while we walked back to the car. That wrap is a lifesaver!

We had a chill Sunday hanging around the house and then met up with Carrie and Bubba for dinner.


Starting him young!

We made the drive home on Monday, which basically took up our entire day. Bleh. I hate driving days.

We went to the zoo on Tuesday! Nick went with us to brave the crowds, and boy were there crowds! We had to park in overflow parking and everything. We did get to see pretty much everything though, even the new koala exhibit! I'm already loving our membership. The kids love walking around and looking at all the animals, and the little creek thing in the children's area entertains Avery to no end. And since we can take our own picnic lunch, it ends up being a free outing every time.




Kangaroos look freaky when they jump!





He posed for me. I'm such a condor whisperer.


Mufasa!


Bahaha. This just made me laugh.

My cousin Amy came over on Wednesday so I could make her a fabric milk crate cover thing. It turned out pretty nicely actually! I forgot to take a picture, so I'm still waiting on hers (ahem, Amy). We went and ran a million errands before I was able to sew the cover, and what good are errands if you don't take a Chick-fil-a lunch break?! That's right, they are no good. So we ate there.

Matt went on a police ride along with Nick on Wednesday night, so I stayed up WAY too late. I cannot sleep when Matt's not home. Annoying.

I met up with Kendra for lunch at Panera on Thursday before picking up my mom and Allison at the airport. I love all three of those people!

Friday was our crafting all-nighter at church! Oh my goodness, I cannot believe I thought I could handle an all-nighter at my old age (ha!). It was so much fun though and I actually got a lot done! I finally mod podged Landon's wall letters (pictures to come...eventually), made a banner for a baby shower I'm hosting this weekend, and cut LOTS of fabric for projects for my (upcoming) Etsy shop. We started with 16 of us on Friday night and ended with 4 on Saturday morning. After watching four movies and sewing/scrapbooking/crocheting our little booties off, we finally decided to just crash on the (very uncomfortable) floor at 5:30 in the morning, slept for a couple hours, and managed to drag ourselves out the door by 8:30.

Ugh, I am a grouch when I don't sleep. We had a busy Saturday, so I had to get over my crankiness if there was to be any peace in this family. You're welcome, Matt.

Avery and I went to a wedding shower for my soon-to-be sister-in-law Brittany in the morning. We only got to stay for about 45 minutes because Avery had a friend's birthday party to go to at Pump it Up.



I seriously could not get this girl to stop long enough to take her picture from the front.


Y'all. That place is brilliant. We had never been, but Avery had a BLAST. And what an easy place to throw a party. They do everything! And the kids (and adults, haha) loved it! Shoot, if we had more than $100 to our name (joke) I'd have Avery's birthday party there, too!

We finished up our Saturday with Matt's birthday party at my parents' house. He turned 29 TODAY! We celebrated a little early since everybody was in town and who wants to party on a Monday? I use the very "party" loosely, but there was cake involved. Ooh, and fajitas! My mom is a good cook. Maybe I should've paid more attention in the kitchen when I still lived there. Oh well.




This kid LOVES drinking from a straw. And he's pretty dang good at it!

Sunday was kinda crappy for me, but some days just are. I did start reading The Hunger Games though, and I'm so hooked already. I don't know why I waited so long to read it except that I was wary of a book series that was so talked up. I mean, every other popular series I've read just hasn't kept my attention. Think Twilight, Harry Potter, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the Janet Evanovich books, etc. But this one's good! Yay! And I'll be done in time to see the movie.

So there's the story of our spring break. Riveting, huh?

It's pouring rain outside, and I've got a book to get back to.

3 comments:

April @ Red-Dirt-Mama.com said...

Condor whisperer! Ha!!

What great pictures - and I'm totally jealous of a crafting allnighter, even though I can't handle no sleep either. :)

Tarah said...

I laughed outloud when I read "Condor whisperer: !! And I also can't sleep when Sam isn't home :/

Thanks for such a fun and thorough post. Your family is just precious.

Joyce said...

Wow! That is way too much fun in one post! I seriously thought I had unsubscribed to your blog or something since you've been MIA. =p ha!