Search Past Posts

Blog Archive

Monday, February 6, 2012

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Y'all, I stinkin' rocked dinner tonight. Most of the new recipes we try (usually 2-3 a week because we're crazy) are from Pinterest, and this one did not disappoint!  It was a major hit, even with the two year old.

It's a copycat recipe of Panera's broccoli cheese soup, and I am in love. I found the original recipe here, but I'm posting my adaptation below. You really need to try this soup; you'll never go back to the canned variety. I promise.

(I obviously did not inherit the photographer genes.)

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
  • ½ medium chopped onion
  • ¼ cup melted butter
  • ¼ cup flour
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 crowns fresh broccoli (don't be lazy and use frozen; fresh makes all the difference)
  • 3 whole carrots, finely grated
  • ¼ teaspoon seasoned salt 
  • 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese (although you can never have too much cheese)
 DIRECTIONS

  1. Sauté onion in butter. Set aside.
  2. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and add the half & half.
  3. Add the chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
  4. Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.
  5. Stir in cheese and seasoned salt.
This makes four servings, and while it made enough for our dinner, I'll make a double batch next time so I have some to freeze! I served it with halved sandwich rolls that I basted with garlic butter and toasted in the oven. It's going in our meal rotation for sure.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

OK. I vote you have a "Tutorials" tab the top of your page. I have gotten the sewing machine back out again! I am kinf of excited about it. Anywho, I was stalking your page to find some of your tutorials that you have used. I was succesful for burp cloths and changing pad. Where the heck is your cool nap mat post?

Tim and Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe- I was inspired to try it today(and we had company)...and we all agreed that it was very yummy :).