Search Past Posts

Blog Archive

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Kindle Case

I finished this project awhile ago, but I couldn't post it until now because it was a birthday gift for my mother-in-law (happy birthday, Arlene!). So without further ado, my first attempt at a non-skirt, zipper project...



I found the crocheted Kindle case tutorial at Little Birdie Secrets about a month ago, and I thought it would be a fun gift to make for Matt's mom since she just got a Kindle. But at the end of the post, she mentioned having a sewn case tutorial that she would be posting later, so I held off and waited for her to post the fabric option. I'm so glad I waited because it ended up being (relatively) easy and so stinkin' cute!

Matt even got to pick out the fabric (after I texted him the picture of my top three options). He picked my third choice, but it ended up being perfect for this project (plus I went back and got my top choice for another project, haha).

I had never sewn a zipper or used interfacing (well, there are a lot of sewing techniques I've never done, considering that this was only my third project), so the task seemed a little daunting. I followed all the steps in the tutorial, but my machine kept stopping when I tried to sew over the zipper. It freaked me out, so I just skipped that part. Once I finished the bag, I realized the error of my ways. The zipper that just pulled straight off might have helped a little with that realization. After a brief moment of panic, I emailed my friend Jessica (seriously, click on that link and check out her blog; she's so talented!) and asked begged her to tell me what I did wrong and how I could fix it.

After backing up a few steps, I was able to re-attempt sewing over the zipper, and sure enough, when I went slowly enough over it, the machine was fine. Problem solved.

I wasn't sure the opening was big enough for the Kindle to fit through it comfortably, but I'm assured that it does. I would call this first bag attempt a success.


And oh my goodness, I cannot wait to post the latest project I finished because I quadruple love it. But alas, I keep making gifts and can't post the pictures until I send them off. Argh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great gift! Looking forward to what else you've made.

Jessica said...

Thanks for the shout out! :) I'm glad I could help and so glad it turned out great. Can't wait to see the next project.

Jen said...

The case is adorable, love the colors! Great job on the zipper! Can't wait to see the first choice fabric.