Search Past Posts

Blog Archive

Friday, February 18, 2011

Bulletin boards, tacos, paint, and consignment sales.

This week has been such a nice turnaround from the past two. It's been absolutely gorgeous outside, and without any snow/ice days this week, we were finally able to get back in our little routine.

On Wednesday, we finally made it back to BSF. We hadn't been since the middle of January (thanks to Avery being sick and then two snow day sin a row), and I was scheduled to help with the children's program. I helped with the three year old class. What a fun age!

Avery went to her friend Pearson's house after her nap (thanks, Whitney!) so that I could go to a funeral for a sweet lady from our church. After the service, I picked up Avery and we took a little trip to Sprouts for some fruit and eggs. Um, does anybody else find it impossible to shop with a toddler? Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but the battle of sitting in the cart vs. "helping" push the cart is completely draining. I don't mind her walking in a store with me, but whether or not she stays with me is a gamble; some days she's really great at doing what she's supposed to, but other days she's running all over the place, meaning that she goes back in the cart (with a fight and lots of glares from fellow shoppers, of course). I guess right now I'm just trying to figure out which battles are worth picking and which are worth holding my ground on. Parenting is so much easier in theory.

Thursdays are Mother's Day Out days, so I work at the church while Avery is at "school." I finally updated a bulletin board that hadn't been touched since August. It had been on my to-do list for months, and after I finished it, I had no idea why I had put it off for so long. In the process of putting it all together, I downloaded over 700 super-cute fonts to my new church computer (if you're a font-lover like me, check out the free ones here and here), so now I can go crazy with formatting! I'm such a nerd! Anyway, here's the new board. I love simple, colorful designs!


After MDO, we played outside (have I mentioned how much I LOVE this weather?!?) until Matt got home. We had planned a family date night, so once Matt joined us, we headed to one of our favorite food places, Fuzzy's Taco Shop. They just opened one about 15 minutes from our house last week, and we went as soon as we could!


Then we went to Lowe's and Home Depot to get some paint chips so we could finally decide on colors for all of our painting projects. We're painting Avery's new (used) dresser/nightstand, Landon's room, the guest/kids bathroom, and our bathroom, so we have some decisions to make, and I'd really like to get stuff painted soon and just get it over with. Painting is not my favorite. :)



Not that we need the extra calories, but we caved and stopped at Dairy Queen on our way home. Um, I had no idea how much Avery loves ice cream. I'm pretty sure she ate half of my blizzard. In the car. In the dark. I was feeding it to her, but it was chocolate. Not a pretty sight when we got home.


This morning Avery and I went to a consignment sale that her MDO teacher told me about. It's called Rhea Lana, and today was half-off day. We scored some major deals, and Avery did really well while I shopped. Here's what we ended up with:
Avery
  • Carter's swimsuit
  • Carter's pants
  • Gymboree skirt
  • Circo sundress

Landon
  • Two onesies
  • Two long-sleeved shirts
  • Three shirt/pants sets
  • Three sleepers

And my grand total was $31. So even though the selection was a little more picked over at the end of the sale, I personally think it's worth it to wait for the 50% discount (unless you're looking for specific bigger items) at consignment events. I'll definitely go back to their fall sale.

We met up with an old friend (Carissa, who I've known since I was six) and her kids for lunch at Chick-fil-a, and then Avery only napped for like 30 minutes, so our afternoon has been a little, uh, trying. Oh well, you take the bad with the good, right?

Tonight is date night, so Matt and I are headed to the movies! We're so original. :) But right now, I have a screaming little girl who needs some attention. Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is quite the title. =p

So you mean you don't look forward to going grocery shopping with 2 little ones?

Kati said...

How cute is Avery in her skirt?!!

Jen said...

The skirt is adorable! Thanks for the links I'm going to check out those fonts, I'm in charge of some of the bulletin boards at church too. Enjoy your date night.