Search Past Posts

Blog Archive

Monday, January 3, 2011

19 Weeks

Pregnancy Highlights
 
How Far Along: 19 weeks
Size of baby: About 6 inches long, the size of an apple
Total Weight Gain/Loss: Officially I've gained 1 pound (which honestly blows my mind), but that's only because I lost a few pounds in the 1st trimester. I gained 3 pounds between my last two appointments (dang you, delicious holiday food!).
Maternity Clothes: I feel like I need them already, but my maternity pants are still falling off of me (which makes for some very awkward situations; trust me, I tried to wear some last week!). I do feel more comfortable in my smaller maternity tops because they're long.
Gender: We're having a boy! We loved the girl name we had picked out, but now we're second guessing the boy name. I'll let you know when we decide for sure!
Movement: I feel flutters every now and then, especially at night
Sleep: I'm sleeping okay for now (I'm definitely not big enough yet to be uncomfortable; I know I'll get there though!)
What I miss: Eh, not really much right now.
Cravings: Cereal! I'm on my 4th bowl of the day. I can't believe I just admitted that.
Symptoms: Loving the second trimester. I have so much more energy and practically no morning sickness.
Best Moment this week: Finding out that Avery is going to have a little brother!

When we had Avery's Level II scan around 18 weeks, they determined that she had a club foot and an EIF (echogenic cardiac focus). Because they found two "red flags," we were sent to a perinatologist for a more in-depth scan. After two separate visits, the perinatologist was absolutely positive that she had a club foot, but he wasn't too concerned about the EIF because it's only a soft marker for Down Syndrome and my risk level was very low. (BTW, Avery was born with perfect feet, and aside from her scary heart rate during the delivery that required the NICU people to be present for her birth, her heart was perfect also.) I'm bringing this up because I was a little nervous going into Baby Boy's ultrasound. They did find an EIF again, but during our post-scan discussion, Dr. D said that he wasn't worried about it at all (especially since I pretty much blew it off). Side note: I love my quirky doctor and his staff.

I'll admit that deep down I was kinda rooting for a girl. I loved the idea of Avery having a sister who was close to her in age and being able to use her clothes and bows and all that girly stuff again. Plus, did I mention that we really loved the girl name we picked out?!? But now that we know we're having a boy, that means I get to start planning the nursery and shopping for boy stuff! I really am thrilled that we'll have one of each (until the next baby, lol), and I know Matt's so excited to have a son. Nursery preview: think our favorite baseball team. Yay! I can't wait to bust out the red and blue!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know people want to be surprised too, and with Melody some ppl didn't want us to tell so we couldn't tell a bunch of ppl because they wouldn't know who knew or not. Anyhow, we ended up with a bunch of boy things from ppl who assumed we were having a boy. And no gift receipts. =\ The nursery is going to be great.