Search Past Posts

Blog Archive

Thursday, March 11, 2010

30(ish) Day Challenge: UPDATE

It's Thursday, which means it's time for the UPDATE! I knew you were just dying for a peek at my organizational progress, so the time has come! Okay, okay, so maybe you weren't anxiously awaiting this reveal about to burst with curiosity, but here's what's gone down in our casa over the last week:

March 4, 2010
Home Notebook: BEFORE 
Home Notebook: AFTER
I've had a lot of questions about what a home notebook actually is, so my interpretation is a collection of recipes, birthday lists, contact lists, cleaning schedules (I know, I'm a dork. Am I still dorky if I haven't actually followed the schedule for months?), menus, decorating ideas, and anything else that pertains to the running of our household. (Mine includes lots of magazine cutouts in page protectors.) If you want some ideas on how to put together your own notebook, check out some inspiration here.

March 5, 2010
Sock/Underwear/Swimsuit Drawer: BEFORE and AFTER
Yeah, I couldn't bring myself to post pictures of my panties (as cute as they may be!), so you're welcome. :)

March 6, 2010
Tupperware Cabinet: BEFORE
Tupperware Cabinet: AFTER
This cabinet will be the hardest to keep organized. I'm just saying. And notice the empty spinny storer thing on the left; it used to be full! Where did all my containers go?!?

March 7, 2010
Computer Desk: BEFORE
Computer Desk: AFTER
This is another area that is quick to become cluttered. I have a tendency to just throw any kinds of paper on the desk (okay, maybe not toilet paper. gross.) with the thought that I'll "get to it later." By the time I get to "later," it's just overwhelming.

March 8, 2010
Medicine Cabinet: BEFORE
Medicine Cabinet: AFTER
I found my label maker! I was wondering how I was going to make it through this challenge without it, but fortunately I don't have to wonder anymore! Yippee! (p.s. I organized this cabinet by types of medicine: first aid, vitamins, pain, cold, stomach, kids, and dogs)

March 9, 2010
TV Console: BEFORE
TV Console: AFTER
We store our DVDs out of sight in drawers at the bottom of the shelves that sit on each side of the TV console (wow that was confusing). But the console itself had become a problem area because we had our collection of TV seasons, video games, game consoles, dvd player, remotes, etc. all haphazardly thrown in there. With a little change in the shelving layout (and the removal of the GameCube, which Matt refuses to let me sell), it looks so. much. better. 

March 10, 2010
Freezer: BEFORE
Freezer: AFTER
The good thing about organizing/cleaning your freezer is that you have a time limit. I mean, you can't let everything thaw out, right? This fix (cleaning included!) took me a grand total of ten minutes. How's THAT for an organizing challenge?

So here's where I am so far:
  • cup/glasses cabinet
  • plastic/rubbermaid/etc. cabinet
  • medicine cabinet
  • sock/underwear drawer
  • purses/bags in closet
  • shoes
  • gift wrap
  • filing cabinet
  • game closet
  • baby gear cabinet in kitchen 
  • pantry
  • freezer
  • media shelves
  • Avery's blankets
  • Avery's toys
  • Avery's sock/headband drawer
  • Stamps
  • Craft paper
  • Home notebook
  • Recipes
  • Books
  • Laundry room shelf
  • T-shirts
  • Soccer gear
  • Glove box
  • Cookbook cabinet
  • Junk drawer
  • Addresses
  • Bathroom cabinet
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Computer desk

  • Are you inspired yet? I love love love before and after pictures (of anything really), so my hope is that these will not only help you, but they'll serve as a reminder for myself to not let our home get so out of control with clutter. It seriously feels SO good to see that ever-growing pile of garage sale merchandise that is soon leaving the house. Simplicity is a freeing thing.

    How's your challenge going now that we're a third of the way through? I've heard from friends who have taken on the organizational challenge this month (or are planning on it for the next), my friend Kati is going Meatless in March, and Tami is writing letters for her 30 Day Challenge (I love that idea, btw!). You guys have helped motivate me to keep going. 

    Just 20 more days!

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Great job!